2016 NFL Draft Round One by Utter-Fantasy Writer & Illustrator & Doug Bowles
The highly anticipated 2016 NFL Draft finally arrived, and it started off as expected. Rookie QBs Goff and Wentz went 1 & 2, and Roger Goodell was “booed’ everytime he walked onto the stage.
Here’s a look at the 31 picks, with a brief Utter-Fantasy comment on each.
2016 NFL DRAFT ROUND ONE-
1) Los Angeles Rams: QB Jared Goff – The Rams have their quarterback, and paid a King’s ransom for him. Coach Jeff Fisher said the “goal” is for No. 1 pick Jared Goff to be the Week 1 starting quarterback.
2) Philadelphia Eagles: QB Carson Wentz – Philly says QB Sam Bradford is still their starter…..but fans will be hollering for Wentz. Bradford needs to fight for his job.
3) San Diego Chargers: DL/LB Joey Bosa – Highly coveted linebacker from Ohio State. The Buckeyes had five players taken in the first 20 picks of the draft.
4) Dallas Cowboys: RB Ezekiel Elliott – RB Darren McFadden is out of a job. RB Elliott is a three-down running back from the Buckeye State.
5) Jacksonville Jaguars: DB Jalen Ramsey – Ramsey falls into the Jag’s lap….they are thrilled. The Jags had the #26 ranked defense in 2015, and were 31st vs the pass. ( Many thought Ramsey was a Titan favorite at No. 1 overall prior to their trade with the Rams.)
6) Baltimore Ravens: OL Ronnie Stanley – Keeping QB Flacco upright is a priority that the Ravens addressed immediately.
7) San Francisco 49ers: DL DeForest Buckner – Chip Kelly predictably grabs a Duck, and a great physical player. Taunted as one of the more NFL-ready prospects in this draft.
8) Tennessee Titans: OL Jack Conklin ‐ The Titans were speculated to go after one of the talented wide receivers…this was better for QB Mariota.
9) Chicago Bears: LB Leonard Floyd – Risky moving up for Floyd. The Georgia football player had just 4.5 sacks for the Bulldogs last year, and left school with 17 career sacks total.
10) New York Giants: CB Eli Apple – Unexpectedly, Eli “Big” Apple joins Eli in the Big Apple. 3rd player from Ohio State selected.
11) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: CB Vernon Hargreaves III – Helps the Buc’s 2015 – 26th ranked pass defense.
12) New Orleans Saints: DL Sheldon Rankins – Rankins joins newly-signed Nick Fairley to help get the Saints out of the cellar defensively.
13) Miami Dolphins: OL Laremy Tunsil – The AFC East forces Miami to gamble on high risk/ high reward players that other teams passed on.
14) Oakland Raiders: S Karl Joseph – A talented safety, which Oakland desperately needed.
15) Cleveland Browns: WR Corey Coleman – Fast but only 5’11”. May end up wishing that they had selected Fuller.
16) Detroit Lions: OL Taylor Decker – Strong leader that will shore up a weak DET O-Line. Detroit was last in 2015 for rushing yards per attempt.
17) Atlanta Falcons: SS Keanu Neal – Defense is a priority Atlanta- this is a start- Need a pass rusher as well….having finished dead last in the NFL in sacks (19).
18) Indianapolis Colts: C Ryan Kelly – Excellent selection to help QB Luck, who is returning from a lacerated kidney and a partially torn abdominal muscle. Remember what C Jeff Saturday did for Peyton?!
19) Buffalo Bills: DL Shaq Lawson – Good pass rusher for Buffalo…this may end up being the player Atlanta should have selected first.
20) New York Jets: LB Darron Lee – Defensive-minded HC Todd Bowles gets the fastest linebacker at the Combine.
21) Houston Texans: WR Will Fuller – How scary is WR DeAndre Hopkins, now that Will Fuller is playing opposite him? Very Scary!
22) Washington Redskins: WR Josh Doctson – Great weapon for QB Cousins, with veteran WR Garcon probably given one more year in Washington….in the final year of his contract.
23) Minnesota Vikings: WR Laquon Treadwell – A possession receiver who’s landing spot was the easiest to predict. QB Bridgewater doesn’t have the arm for the speedy receivers previously selected.
24) Cincinnati Bengals: CB William Jackson III – 3 first-rounders for the Bengal’s secondary in the past 4 years. Likely need a wide receiver next.
25) Pittsburgh Steelers: CB Artie Burns – The Steelers did not have a legit No. 1 corner going into 2015. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is confident that Burns will quickly become an elite player.
26) Denver Broncos: QB Paxton Lynch – The last time Denver selected a QB this late in the 1st round was big bust Tebow in 2010. ( QB Kaep likely stays in SF )
27) Green Bay Packers: DL Kenny Clark: – Wrestling star who will add a big body to the middle of the Packer’s defense.
28) San Francisco 49ers: OL Joshua Garnett – Not an Oregon Duck, but his father Scott Garnett, also played professionally for the 49ers.
29) Arizona Cardinals: DL Robert Nkemdiche – Their 2015 #2 defense needed some young players mixed in. Nkemdiche can push the pocket with power and offers the versatility to make an impact vs. the run.
30) Carolina Panthers: DT Vernon Butler – I love that the strong defensive NFL teams are getting even stronger! Butler was the Football Focus’ top-rated defensive lineman outside the Power 5 conferences last year.
31) Seattle Seahawks: OL Germain Ifedi – HC Pete Carroll is a master in the NFL Drafts. I’d bet that this “considered gamble”….pays off for Seattle.
*NOTE: New England didn’t have a 1st round selection due to “deflategate” punishment